24seniorcare and real estate

enjoy aging
24seniorcare International
+41 (0) 61 331 34 59

Swiss health insurance abroad

for Swiss retirees abroad

This beforehand. It is certainly reassuring to learn that statutory health insurance for Swiss pensioners is also valid in other European countries. Here are some notes on how it works and what rules to follow.

1. Pensioners who receive only one pension (simply pensioners)
If a retiree only receives the pension from his own country of origin, he will continue to receive health insurance from his country of origin after he has moved to another country.

2. Pensioners who receive multiple pensions (often retirees)
If a pensioner receives a pension from the country of emigration (country of residence) apart from his country of origin, the health insurance obligation from the country of origin ends.

So if you emigrate to a country of the EC and receive only one pension, the previous health and accident insurance (KVG) also applies to your new place of residence. In this case, you simply have to notify your health insurance company of the change of residence to an EC country. You will then receive the form E121, which you must fill out and sign with the insurance carrier. This ensures that the insurance carrier is aware that you are abroad.

Thereafter, your sickness and accident costs will be paid just as if you were in Switzerland. In addition, the insurances are valid in the EC and EFTA. The existing supplementary insurance is no longer valid at the new place of residence. This means the outpatient basic care, which could be billed for example so far over the Spitex depending on the deductible is no longer valid. However, the insurance costs only CHF 181 per month per month.